Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Hospice Shawl

Stitch by Stitch in Highland is working in collaboration with Closely Knitters to collect 400 shawls for the Friends of Hospice (scroll towards bottom of article for explanation), the auxiliary for the not-for-profit Hospice of the Calumet Area. I decided to participate by donating at least one, maybe two, handknit shawls.

I remember the care my dad received from his hospice (a different hospice than the aforementioned) and the support we got from Barbara. Deciding to donate a shawl or two was a no-brainer for me. Even though Daddy needed hospice services for only a couple of weeks, it made a deep, deep impact on me. I never thought I had the strength to be a volunteer to speak to families considering hospice care, but I always felt like I wanted to do something for them. I just didn't know what. I suppose this is my chance.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here's the pattern.

You need:
size 17 needles (I used Addi Turbo circs)
1 skein of a novelty yarn called Dali and 1 skein of Cascade 220 in a matching color

Holding both yarns together, CO 36 stitches
Row 1: Knit
Row 2: K1, (YO, K2tog) across until you have one stitch left, K1
Repeat Row 2 until you have 3 yards of yarn left.
Knit one row.
BO
Weave in loose ends.



If I have time, I'm going to make this shawl with this yarn:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: