Friday, April 13, 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Stitch Marker Swap (Part 1)

At first I wasn't interested in joining the Get Stitchy! stitch marker swap. But then I reread all the postings about stitch markers different members had made. They were all very pretty. And, let's face it, the small plastic rings are a wee bit boring. Simply Knitting Magazine then had to go and give away four free stitch markers with last month's issue. I was hooked. I joined the swap. Shortly thereafter, I received my partner's name. We exchanged addresses and whatnot for the swap.

I went to this bead shop in Highland around the corner from the Town Theater. I'd never been there and hoped that I could find cute beads for my markers. I was a little bit scared since the only time I work with wire and beads is for art class at school. I usually start the class on something and I don't have to finish it. This time I would need to start and finish a wire project.

The owner of the shop had no clue what I was talking about when I told her I wanted to make stitch markers. I told her that I, too, was clueless as to how to make them. At any rate, I scoured the drawers and bowls full of beads. I settled on about five different beads and some earring wires. The owner then helped me pick out some wire, pliers, and cutters. I was ALMOST ready to start.

The earring wires I chose would work for crochet stitch markers, but not for knitting markers that have to stay on the needles. I still needed some sort of rings. I found them at Walmart - toggles! I tossed out the sticks and kept the rings. While at the store I also purchased a small package of green and pink beads. My swap partner likes the colors pink and lime green. I couldn't find lime green, but I did find green. Sweet!

Well, I was still apprehensive about making stitch markers so I let the tools and materials sit for almost a week before I even took them out of the bags, which I did today. I started by cutting wire and twisting it on the toggle ring. Then I added beads and twisted the ends to secure. So far, so good. I got one marker in the done pile. It wasn't so bad. As a matter of fact, I kinda liked making the marker. Each one I made was just a bit easier to get done. Long story short. Twenty-four stitch markers later, my swap partner, Sandra, and I all have brand new, handmade stitch markers. I would have made more, but I ran out of beads. I'm feeling an itch to buy more beads. Soon.

Part 2 of this stitch marker swap posting will include pictures of the stitch markers. I don't want to spoil the surprise for my swap partner by posting pics before she receives the real thing.

No comments: